Slammed (Slammed, #1)

Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover Made our Badass Hidden Gem list..http://badassbookreviews.com/badass-hidden-gems-volume-ii/http://badassbookreviews.com/review-slammed-by-colleen-hoover/What an interesting dilemma this book put me in. On one hand, I should be a responsible reviewer and review this book objectively, pointing out the flaws, the inconsistencies, the problems…SCREW THAT.This book gripped my heart and swept me up in a whirlwind of emotion. Yes, I’m going cheesy here. I don’t care. It’s my review and it’s going to ooze cheesiness. I cannot help it. You get a cheesy me when I cried for most of a book. You get cheesy me when I go into work late because I had to reapply my makeup. You get cheesy me when I was so moved that I had to STOP thinking about the book at work for fear I’d tear up again. The book moved me. Because it moved me in such a strong manner, it deserves a high rating. I know I’m a crybaby and can cry over any sad scene but this book moved me, it wasn’t just sad scenes. Whether it hit the right spot just for me, or it will have the same effect on other people, I don’t know. I’m just telling you- it moved me.This book is not your normal story. It’s like a snapshot of a small portion of a Layken’s life. It’s not intended to tell the story of Layken or even go in-depth over any of Layken’s problems. As a reader, you get to peak into a small part of Layken. While it is a small part, it is full of pain, heartache, discovery, laughter, and growth. I loved this. You are literally dropped into the problem, and once the problem is resolved, you are dropped out of it (the end). You wonder, well what now? That feeling of unanswered questions made me realize how quickly I fell into Layken’s life. I craved more. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t satisfied with what I got. It doesn’t mean I didn’t think the little taste of Layken’s life wasn’t amazing, it just means I want more.Layken and Will and “the brothers” were amazing. The banter, the emotions, the problems, was so heartbreakingly real that I could read page after page of interaction between the four of them. Add in a mother with a very profound secret, a twist that puts a wall up between Layken & Will, some well-developed minor characters, and you then have one new fan of Colleen Hoover- ME!